Sunday, March 29, 2009

Boston Apartment (Mar 16, 2009)

I am at home now. Its 10.30 in the night and neither am I jetlagged nor am I feeling sleepy. I reached home at 4 in the morning and went to office too. I must either be suffering from insomnia or I am just plain crazy.

London (or Londinium as the Romans called it) is an amazing city. It has a good mix of the ancient with the new, and all of the many areas that form a city – the rich (Chelsea), the Indian (Southall), the Chinese (Chinatown) and so many more.

When I had been here last time around I had walked on the path called Westminster walk from Big Ben down the Abbey, past the Houses of Parliament to Trafalgar Square and finally Piccadilly Circus. Also, I had done the London Eye which I found quite fascinating, and as I had never had an aerial view of the city – it was a nice experience.

DT had also suggested a tube to Canary Wharf which is the place where the companies are based out of. I had gone there too to click a few photos and try to find out if I knew any companies there. It is supposed to have a really good nightlife in the night.

On this trip I met up with Ajith at Waterloo and he took me around. I dropped my luggage at Waterloo itself which has a place called Left Luggage to keep them. They charge 8GBP a day (7am to 11pm).

We went to Lord’s – The Home of Cricket. The tour was not great (I found the guide not too exciting), but the actual look at the ground was worth the 14GBP. After this was done we went to Buckingham palace for a few photos, and then walked along the Thames from London Bridge to Tower Bridge.

It was getting quite late and we took the tube to Piccadilly and met up with Ali. Had a few drinks at the nearby bar and also walked to Leicester Square to have a few more at Chiquito’s. This area is quite crowded and a nice place to hang at.

Also, you can drink your beers and other stuff on the road which must be one of the reasons why there is a lot of fun on the streets (and rowdiness too).

We hung out till not too late as I had to collect my bag before it closed, but I had a good time. London is a city which I will never cover how many times I visit, but it has the charm which only the cities like NYC have. I don’t even have to visit the city – it is a given – you have to make the visit at least once in your lifetime.

No comments: