Sunday, January 18, 2009

Savannah Panera Bread (Jan 18, 2009)

Panera is one of the restaurants which a lot of people do not go to. I love this place, and if (hypothetically) I was a veggie dude – I would have been here everyday. They have some really good stuff, and over and above that free wi-fi. What else do you need!!!

Anyway back to my trip. I reached Savannah ½ hour late, around 9.30pm, but still that was good time. Again the taxi to my hostel was really cheap, he charged 10 dollars and gave me his card. Every taxi in the south seems to give me their card, maybe they think a bunch of Indians will follow me :D. So I knocked on this hostel door, and no one answered. I was frigging scared – didn’t want to run around in the night. After 3-4 knocks thankfully the owner did come down. He didn’t have a proper private room, so he gave me a bunk - like in the hostels. This room had 6 bunks and I was the only one there. Also, the other bathrooms were not working so my bathroom was like the community bathroom. The heat was quite low too, but for me it was all awesome. A place to stay and because of all this he discounted the rate from 60 to 30 USD. I was so happy. My first stay in a hostel was so cool, and I will do it again as it is worth it. It was at a walking distance from all attractions, and a homely environment. The hostel was so cool; an old Victorian sort of house and the owner although eccentric was quite nice. This hostel is the ‘Savannah Hostels and Pension’ and is highly recommended if you are willing to meet new people and don’t mind a bit of discomfort.

The best part was there were two French girls – Julie and Claire and I chatted with them quite a bit. They were staying in Orlando and it was nice to talk with them. They went out a little bit later to enjoy the nightlife, but I was so tired I went to sleep. The next morning after a few bye-byes they called me for breakfast and finally I had something of a southern cooking experience. The place was Express Cafe and I had the egg benedict which was so full of oil and egg and ham..yummy!!!

After a few photos we bid our goodbyes but I have a feeling they will remain a fond part of my memories.

Now began my Savannah roaming. It is a really beautiful city with these squares in downtown which are really good looking. They contain a lot of trees and nice statues. The walk on Bull Street from Johnson Square to Forsyth Park is one which should be taken by everyone. I guess that’s why Savannah Downtown is one of the ‘1000 places to see before you die’.

After a lot of picture clicking I came back to River Street which is by the Savannah River and took the Riverboat tour. It was again so-so and for 21 USD not recommended to most. The duration of 1 hr is also too short, and there is nothing much to see by the river. It’s only the walk in downtown which is worth it.

Then I spent a while walking on the river street and bought a few candies which are prepared in Savannah itself but overall I felt that I should have spent lesser time here and maybe more in Charleston as I was roaming around doing nothing much. Finally, my Iphone was running out of charge and so was my laptop. This got me here to Panera.

Overall, Savannah for a day or even a half day is a place worth visiting. The walk in downtown is a blast, and the food here (especially the ‘breakfast the entire day’ places) is GOOOOD. Night is supposed to be a bit dangerous except by the riverside where all the pubs and bars are. So if you go there avoid walking in the night.

To end, the French girls were impressed with my Iphone. Damn you all non-Iphone users!

No comments: